Thursday, May 10, 2012

Goats as weeders.

My new experience with goats.

With spring being so busy with planting I have seriously been neglecting mowing.  We have a lot of mowing and weed-wacking on our 150-acre farm.  It would be a full time job for someone if that were in our budget.  As I have been driving around Lancaster County the last few weeks I have noticed quite a few front yards with goats to do the mowing.  I have thought of the idea for years but put it off because I felt it would be too much of a hassle. 
Last week I just couldn’t take the weeds anymore and with the rain I had a few minutes to spare.  So I drove to my neighbor’s house.  He has quite a few goats and sheep and not so much grass.  I asked to borrow a few goats for the summer.  (I don’t have a place for them in the winter.)  He was quite skeptical.  I think he thought I was a bit crazy.  But, luckily he said “Why not?”  So we wrestled 2 goats into my Subaru.  I assumed they were friendly, but they were not used to being handled.  Luckily they have handles built into them.  I drove to the nearest hardware store and purchased dog collars and chains.
And now we have two goats, Nanny and Frederica (Freddy for short.)  It has only been a week and I am just experimenting with the possibilities.  I am pleasantly surprised at what little work it actually takes to care for them.  We have plenty of food, grass and weeds, and the only thing they need is to be moved every day and water.
 I am most interested in how efficient they will be as weeders.  So far they don’t seem to eat everything but what they do eat is amazing.  When I take them to a new area the first things they go for are poison ivy leaves, mulberry trees, prickly lettuce and multiflora rose.  These are some of our worst weed issues and the ones that none of us want to handle. 
So far the plan is a success and if I ever need to retire from vegetable production I think I will raise goats and rent them out to mow lawns and fencerows.  I am just surprised that more people aren’t using this simple method.  I am surprised it took me so long.  Now we need to make ordinances in the city to allow goats to mow. 
Here is an article about how goats can and should be used by our government.