Friday, June 12, 2009

















                CSA Harvest for June 17.
I feel we are beginning to get the hang of the new pick up and ordering system.  If you have any questions or comments please email me and let me know. 
The opening day of the West Reading Farmer's Market was a huge success.  It was a homecoming for me to see all the familiar faces and I loved meeting the CSA members whom showed up to support us as well.  Thank you for the visits.  
As you know we have had quite a bit of rain.  It is nice to not worry about irrigating.  And with my great team of helpers this year we seem to be keeping up with planting and weeding.  
Greens, Greens, Greens........
Greens are my favorite.  I love this time of year because the greens are still so tender and sweet.  However, I realize that not everyone is like me and can eat greens for every meal, and love it.  Beginning next week we should have beets and carrots and summer squash the following week.  
In the meantime, if you are not a greens lover we will allow you to order less greens this week and make up for it later in the season with tomatoes, beans, peppers, eggplants etc.   Simply, email me and let me know what you would like for this week and if you would like to hold off on a few items for later in the season.  I love receiving your orders.  However, if you are a greens lover than we have plenty for you.  Get em while they are great!

This week's list:
Thyme
Oregano
Garlic Chives
Dandelion Greens
Baby Boc Choi
Swiss Chard
Kale: Winter or Dino
Garlic Scapes:  a green garlic flower bud used in place of  garlic. (Third Picture)
Spinach
Beet Greens: (Second Picture)
Salad Mix
Lettuce: Romaine (First Picture) or Butterhead
Radishes
Turnips
Spicy Mix

Recipes for this week:

Sauteed Broccoli Raab

This recipe comes from one of our CSA members.

I cooked the Broccoli Raab tonight, and it was wonderful.  My children even loved it.  I boiled it for just a few minutes, then sauteed it in olive oil and garlic.  Then, when it was done, I sprinkled some grated parm cheese on it.  It was a huge hit!  It can also be added into pasta dishes.

Kale Suggestions from our members:

Kale Chips:  Clean and cut kale into 4in pieces.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake on a cookie sheet until crispy.  Enjoy.
Baked Kale:  Boil potatoes and when soft add kale.  Strain and put into a roasting pan with 1 tbspn butter and 3 eggs.  Top with grated cheese.  Bake at 375 until cheese is browned.  

Greens Suggestions from my kitchen:

Coconut Shrimp Curry with Swiss Chard:  Sautee onions, garlic and shrimp in sesame oil.  When onions are clear add a can of coconut milk and 1 lb uncooked shrimp.  When Shrimp are cooked add 1 bunch Swiss Chard and cook until chard is tender.  Serve over rice.  You may use any of the greens on our list this week in this recipe.  

Kayla's recommendation: Check out this website for inspirations on food pairings.  

I hope you all enjoy and have a great week,
Erica