Thursday, June 4, 2009



MIDWEEK CHECK IN FOR CSA MEMBERS:
In our opinion the first delivery/ pick up was a huge success.  Although, we still have a few bugs to work out the new system has been a great help to us the farmers.  In addition to having a great crew of helpers the elimination of box packing had us finishing harvesting and processing in record time, allowing us time to go into the field and plant beans.  Freeing up the farmers from the cleaning and packing of produce will give us more time in the field actually growing the produce and this will benefit us all in the long run.  Thank you all for your support.
There were a few questions which did arise after yesterdays pick up and this is a response I emailed to one member:

I realize the system is a bit confusing at first.  When I post the blog I list as many items as are available.  For instance this past week I listed 12 items.  However, with a full share you only get 8 items (half share 4).  I post the blog in order to give you a chance to choose between the items for what will suit your needs for the week.  If you would like specific items you can email me before Monday evening and I will reserve those items for you.  Otherwise, I take what was harvested and divide it up among the customers.  In some cases there may not be enough of each item for everyone.  Contrary, to popular belief ordering makes my job easier.  It is hard to keep track of all of your preferences.  It is important to me that you get what you want (when available) and that you enjoy the produce.  
 As far as herbs (excluding basil) are concerned I won't automatically give them out as an item unless requested.  I have found that most people have their own herb gardens and are more interested in vegetables.  However, if you would like to have a particular herb simply email me and let me know.  I will post the available herbs each week.
And recipes........  A constant challenge for me is to pass along recipes.  While we are currently working on a recipe database for our website I will be relying on this blog to help with recipes.  However, I could use any help I could get.  If you find a great way to prepare one of our items please let us know.  You may search our blog for recipes from last season by simply typing in the vegetable in the search box above (ex: baby boc choi recipes).  Simply searching for recipes on the internet is an amazing way to learn new things I love www.epicurean.com  and our intern Kayla recommends http://allrecipes.com/ .   And below I have a great new recipe passed along by our awesome volunteer farmer Sarah.  
Thank you all for your support and keep the feedback coming,
Erica

Pictured above in order: Lacinato or Dino Kale, Winter or Curly Kale and Swiss Chard.

Sarah’s Chard Tart

1 pie crust
2

Tbsp. olive oil
1 red onion (or white), finely diced
1 pound chard leaves, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup yogurt
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 425. Prepare (or buy) a single pie crust and poke holes with a fork. Heat oven to 425F and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven to 375F.

Meanwhile… add olive oil to a large skillet and add onion, cooking until the onions are soft, 8-10 minutes. Coarsely chop chard leaves (can sub kale, beet greens, cabbage, leeks, any GREENS) and garlic and add to the skillet, cooking until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Season with chopped fresh basil, salt, ground black pepper. A pinch of ground red pepper is optional.

In a bowl combine eggs, yogurt, and grated Parmesan cheese (also good with goat, gorgonzola, blue, etc) add the chard mixture. Scrape the mixture into the prepared tart shell, spreading evenly. Reduce oven to 375 and bake until filling is golden and firm: 25-35 mins.