Monday, August 9, 2010

Dear Friends of B & H Organic Produce,
Welcome to August. I can hardly believe it is here already. In the early morning I can already feel a change in the air and a definite change in the light. I love fall, but will be sad to see the garden go dormant. Personally, I would love summer all season, but I know the soil needs a rest too. In the next few weeks we will be working on putting our open ground to rest for the season. Our final till, cover crops and then our fall fertilizer. All in preparation for another wonderful year ahead.
This week at market we will have:
  • fresh cut flower bouquets
  • potatoes
  • tomatoes
  • cucumbers
  • summer squash
  • garlic
  • salad mix
  • eggplant
  • peppers
  • basil
  • kale
  • chard
This weeks recipes will be raw. In honor of the Raw Food Challenge for August and also in honor of my husband fasting this week.

Fresh Juices: this is what my husband Mike has for his menu tomorrow.
  • Bloody Mary: Tomatoes, parsley, lemon, carrots, cucumber and beets!!!!!!!!!
  • Cucumber Mint: just cucumbers with a hint of mint
  • Carrot Beet Ginger: pretty standard.
Yellow Tomato Gazpacho: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=460045

Greenie Guacamole: this uses raw swiss chard and gives tips for how to breakdown the bitterness.
http://goneraw.com/recipe/greenie-guacamole

A tip for this week: How to freeze whole tomatoes. This is a blessing for me- I have limited time and a home without air conditioning. This way I can make my sauces, salsas, catsups and pastes in the winter when I need to heat my house. http://www.ehow.com/how_5077856_freeze-whole-fresh-tomatoes.html

Thank you all and have a great week,
Erica