Monday, November 8, 2010

(Pictured is an entree at Papillon. Butternut Squash puree topped with baby pac choi, served with risotto cake topped with scallops. This made my mouth water reading about it. I tried my best to recreate it this week.)

Dear Friends of B & H Organic Produce,
The market was blustery and cold. Thank you all for coming out. It is amazing how dedicated you all are to the market. It was a great day.
We still have 2 more weeks. We will be at the market on November 21st the Sunday before Thanksgiving for all your holiday needs. We will also be doing our weekly West Reading delivery a bit early that week. We will be delivering on Wednesday after 4:30. I will send out the list of what will be available on Sunday evening and orders will need to be placed by Tuesday evening. The Wednesday delivery will most likely be the same items as what we will have at market on Sunday.
We are still working on our cleanup as well as harvesting for our winter storage. It is hard to be motivated in the cold so we are hoping for warmer temperatures by the end of the week.
This Sunday we will be offering 10% discounts to our former CSA members whom visit market. Consider it a customer appreciation. At this point we are planning a CSA for 2011 although we still have to figure out the details. Stay tuned for that information in January.
A quick apology about our salad mix. In case you have not been to the farm I should let you know that we do not have a greenhouse. All of our crops are field grown. This is a bit tricky this time of year. We plant extra in the early fall and cover everything with a frost cloth. With last week's very cold nights some of the greens suffered frost damage. We tried our best to clean this out but some of the leaves were tricky and ended up in the salad mix. These leaves are fine to eat but tend to spoil faster than the other items. We strive for the best tasting and long lasting salad mix. If you have had a problem with the salad mix please let me know. We would be happy to make it up to you. Also, if you have had a problem with any of our products please let me know. It may be a problem we are not aware of and can correct. We learn a lot this way. Many complaints/ observations teach us valuable lessons.
So many of you ask me every week for recipes and ideas for cooking. I am so happy to introduce to you another friend of mine Suzie Carpenter whom teaches cooking classes for healthy seasonal eating. We are blessed to have so many opportunities in our area to learn how better to care for ourselves as well as enjoy all the fresh flavors. Check out Suzie's website for her upcoming classes. There is one this week for Holiday inspiration. YUM! http://www.suziecarpenter.com/events/
Lastly, I would love to thank the Impellizzeri family for visiting the farm this week. They won a tour of our farm at the Taste of West Reading this Summer. It was so great to have the children in the garden. I was so grateful for their openness and enthusiasm. I loved spending time with this wonderful family.
And now, for this the list of what we will be bringing to market next week:
  • spinach
  • mustard greens
  • salad mix- with less flowers due to the frost
  • carrots
  • beets
  • daikon radish
  • lettuce
  • broccoli
  • peppers
  • cabbage
  • fennel
  • baby pac choi
  • broccoli raab
  • radishes
  • turnips
  • arugula
  • spicy mix
  • kale
  • potatoes
  • butternut squash
Recipes for this week: I spend either Sunday or Monday evenings preparing dinners for most of the week.

  • last night's dinner inspired by Chef Phillip Davis at Papillon (check out our blog for a picture of his entree http://bhorganics.blogspot.com/). We had Butternut Squash Puree topped with Roasted Baby Pac Choi, and Roasted Halibut (caught by my very good friend Kelly), topped with a Mustard Green Pesto.
    • Butternut Squash Puree- first I roasted the butternut squash and when it was soft I blended it with a little bit of tamari, 2 tablespoons of stock (becareful not to make it too runny), and an even smaller amount of raw honey. I spread this as a thin layer on the bottom of the plate.
    • Mustard Green Pesto- I love making pestos with lost of different kinds of greens and herbs. It is a great way to store them. I made this pesto and then froze the leftovers. This way I can have the greens later in the winter. First, I toasted about 1 cup of walnuts in the oven. Then I blended them with 1 bunch of mustard greens, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoon of goat cheese.
    • Roasted Baby Pac Choi- I sliced a larger pac choi in half lengthwise and placed this in the roasting pan with the halibut drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper. I roasted them for about 25 minutes.
  • And for this week's soup: ( I try to make a soup every week even in the summer. This is a great thing to have for meals on the go throughout the week) African Peanut Soup. http://showmevegan.blogspot.com/search?q=african+peanut+soup As usual I changed it up with my own interpretation. I used carrots in place of the sweet potatoes. I also added turnips, lots of ginger, too much hot pepper, our seasoning peppers, and celery root. This was my version of the recipe last year when I made it. : I substituted delicata squash for the sweet potatoes and added hot peppers, kale and in place of the tomatoes I used apples, beets and carrots. Yum!
For this week's weekly delivery:
  • mustard greens $2.00
  • salad mix $4.50
  • carrots- red or orange $2.50
  • beets - red $2.50
  • daikon radish- $2.00
  • lettuce- butter or romaine $2.00
  • potatoes- butterball #2 $3.50
  • cabbage- savoy $2.50
  • broccoli #1 $3.50
  • peppers - 1# $2.00
  • fennel- $2.50
  • baby pac choi $2.00
  • broccoli raab $2.50
  • radishes - purple or french breakfast $2.00
  • turnips- $2.00
  • arugula- bunched $2.00
  • butternut squash - $3.00
Thank you all so much and have a super week.