Thursday, May 26, 2011


Hello loyal B&H blog followers! My name is Katherine, and I will be an intern here until July 10th. I am a Biology major at Palm Beach Atlantic University down in Florida, but I will be home in Wyomissing, which is not too far from the farm, for most of the summer. Just last Monday I began working on the farm. I have not had any previous experience working on a farm, but ever since I was little I remember begging my parents to move to the country where we could live on a farm. Just recently, organic farming in particular has become even more of an interest to me. B&H Organic Produce seemed like the perfect fit for a summer internship, and it is! I love that every day that I come to work I learn so much. I love that on lunch breaks, when it is nice out, I can sit in the cool shade and enjoy the view of the farm with the mountains in the background. I love that I am getting hands on experience with a job that I’ve had an interest in since I was young. I love that I get spend my days working outside. I love that I am coming to understand the importance of the work done at B&H Organic Produce, and at any organic farm for that matter.

Last week we planted one of my favorites, tomatoes! Growing up I was never a fan of tomatoes; my sister and grandpa used to sprinkle sugar on tomato slices, I did not even like watching them eat that. Now, I feel as though a sandwich is not a sandwich without a tomato. Thank goodness for changing taste buds, or I would still be missing out! One of my favorite foods to eat with tomatoes in it is fresh mozzarella and tomato salad, but I must say that my Mom’s tomato sauce is pretty tough competition to the classic fresh mozzarella and tomato salad. The recipe she uses is actually a slight variation from one that she found in the “Joy of Cooking” cookbook. Here is the recipe with her modifications:

Heat in a medium saucepan over medium heat:

2 T extra virgin olive oil

Add:

1 medium onion, minced

2 cloves garlic, minced

Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in:

One 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, with juice, broken into pieces

1 T dried basil

1-2 t dried oregano

Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in:

1-2 t sugar

Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Heat through, about 5 minutes.

Another exciting thing that happened last week was that we cleared out all the plastic and metal scraps from the frame of the greenhouse that collapsed in the winter. It was great to get all of that stuff out because it means we are a little closer to getting another greenhouse.

Looking ahead, May 21st is our Open House. There will be tours of the farm, where people can ask questions, see what an organic farm is like, and learn all about where their food comes from. For the children there will be a whole area with different games and baby chicks. I hope to meet most of you there!