Sunday, September 25, 2011


A few words about member work hours.

I have been thinking about this blog for quite awhile. And this past Sunday I was reminded of exactly why I decided to add member work hours to the CSA membership this year. We had 2 members volunteering and weeding carrots. I was talking about how I love to teach and interact with customers. For me farming is not just about growing the crops. It is about educating people about why it is important to eat local organic produce. It is about why it is important to eat healthy. I want to show people the rewards of doing so. I love the farmer’s markets and interacting with customers. As I was talking a member was weeding chickweed out of the carrots and eating it. It reminded me of why I started this in the first place. The sheer joy of being in nature, being subject to nature, being close to God and feeling that awesome childlike spirit.

CSA stands for community supported agriculture. Although the financial support is crucial the community aspect is just as important. By doing a CSA in which boxes are delivered the farmer/ consumer contact is eliminated. That is also why I have chosen an ordering system. I want to know you all personally and know the produce you want to eat. Emails are great but I want one on one contact. That is one reason I didn’t do the CSA last year. I felt a lack of contact with many of my customers. And it never fails that the CSA members I have no contact with are the least satisfied.

Having you work on the farm is important to let you know the immense, and I mean immense, amount of work it takes to produce one of those boxes each week. The volunteers who have come have been extremely helpful. But it is not about the labor for me. It is the interaction. It is the realization that we are humans working extremely hard to share our labor of love with you. And by you working with us you too are participating in that labor of love.

If you cannot or do not want to work on the farm fine. Just let me know. If anyone understands busy it is someone like me who works 80 + hours a week. I don’t want to be a drill sergeant. I want you to come because you see that value in where your food comes from.

I am surprised at how many people are opposed to the whole idea. Many CSA’s are run solely on member labor. So instead of forcing anyone to work I will have to reward those who did work hard. I will let you know the reward as we see how the season finishes out.

I am blessed to have wonderful supporting members. I am grateful for all of you. No matter what your contribution has been. And yes, financial contributions are crucial.

This labor of love is important to many of us for many reasons. And with out your support I don’t know where I would be.

Many blessings to you all,

Erica


This week's harvest;


Full share: (you may receive any of these items)

  • Fingerling potatoes 2 lb
  • Lettuce- 2-3 heads salad mix 1/2 lb
  • Beets 1.5 lb or carrots 1.5 lb
  • Mixed colors and shapes of sweet peppers 1.5 lb
  • Eggplant (small purple, green, large purple or orange) 1.5 lb
  • 3/4 lb of komatsuna or kale or collard greens
  • Winter Squash- Butternut. 1 fruit.
  • Beans ¾ lb or cabbage 1 head
  • Parsnips- 1.5 lb
  • Frisee- 2 heads.
  • leek 1#
  • Daikon or Watermelon Radishes 1 lb

Half Share:

  • Any 4 of the above full share items.

Optional Items: (these count as an item in your share) Some of these items are in limited quantities so can be ordered on a first come first serve basis.

  • Fresh cut flower bouquets

Extra Items: (these do not count as an item) - Please let me know the quantity you would like.

  • Hot peppers - 6 peppers – we have tons so order more.
  • Tomatoes- cherry 1/2 lb - limited quantities
  • Aji Dulce Peppers- ½ lb. These are also known as Caribbean Seasoning Peppers. They look; taste and smell like a hot pepper but have no heat. They are excellent for seasoning.
  • Italian Parsley- 1/8 lb

Thank you and have a great week,
Erica