Sunday, September 4, 2011

Unfortunately, I have to change the date on our CSA potluck. We are changing the date from September 17th to October 1st. We will also change the time to 5 pm. Something very big came up for the 17th. http://www.wyebrookfarm.com/news/2011/8/11/wyebrooks-first-pig-roast.html

This is an event no one will want to miss. You should make it out if you can.

Don’t forget to contact me with your work schedule.


Here is our blog.


Next week Miriam plans to give you all a summary of her “Beneficial Insects” talk at our Rt. 10 tour last Saturday. So I decided to talk about the other side of it all.

Killing pests.

As an organic farmer my main job is an insect assassin. I am not a killer by nature. In fact I was a vegetarian for 16 years. I feel sick every time I have to “take care of “ a groundhog. But, I have realized that in my garden it is survival of the fittest and I do intend to survive.

With that said I refrain when possible from killing bugs and creatures that eat our crops. I am willing to share. The fact is that they all have a lot more time and drive than I do.

I previously worked at a farm where I spent many hours dressed in suits with a loud sprayer attached to my back spraying for insects. Although the sprays were organic in nature they were still dangerous to inhale or to touch the skin. The suits were very hot to wear and the sprayer very uncomfortable.

I decided when starting my own business that I would not spray. And for the first 4 years I did not spray a bug. I spent a lot of time squashing by hand or forcing the insects into a bucket of soapy water.

We have lost quite a few crops to insects and yields are always affected. Last year we lost our whole Brusselsprouts crop. This year I drew the line. When I saw the Brusselsprouts dramatically decrease in health I broke out the neem oil. Neem is not harmful to humans. The main ingredient in my toothpaste is neem. It doesn’t burn the skin or irritate the nasal passages. No need for protection when spraying.

So we decided to spray the Brusselsprouts and it worked. The next day there were very few of the harlequin beetles that suck the life out of those scrumptious veggies.

For a measure of safety I sent out my crew to do another spray today. Midway through I saw our trusty volunteer, Beth, charging down from the upper field. She ran up to me with the most beautiful praying mantid in her hands. “ I had to save her. She is laden with eggs.” So Beth washed off the praying mantid and we placed her in our overgrown asparagus patch. She was saved.

I thought the neem was a miracle cure for those bright colored Brusselsprout assassins. But, in the end I realized once again that spraying, organic or not, harms the good with the bad.

I hope we all enjoy the sprouts this fall. I will certainly think very hard before spraying again.




This week’s harvest:

Full share: ( you may receive any of these items)

  • Purple potatoes 2 lb
  • Lettuce- 2-3 heads
  • Beets 1.5 lb
  • Tomatoes - 2- 3 lb many shapes and colors.
  • Mixed colors and shapes of sweet peppers 1.5 lb or Eggplant (small purple, green, large purple or orange) 1.5 lb
  • 3/4 lb of chard or kale or baby pac choi
  • Winter Squash- Giant pumpkins, red kuri or buttercup squash. Super tasty and nutritious. 1large or 2 small.
  • Beans ¾ lb– half shares only
  • Fennel – 1 bulb or leek 1#
  • Garlic- ½ # all members will receive garlic unless they request otherwise.

Half Share:

  • Any 4 of the above full share items.

Optional Items: (these count as an item in your share) Some of these items are in limited quantities so can be ordered on a first come first serve basis.

  • Fresh cut flower bouquets

Extra Items: (these do not count as an item) - Please let me know the quantity you would like.

  • Garlic chives 1/8 lb
  • Hot peppers - 6 peppers – we have tons so order more.
  • Basil 1/4 lb
  • Aji Dulce Peppers- ½ lb. These are also known as Carribean Seasoning Peppers. They look, taste and smell like a hot pepper but have no heat. They are excellent for seasoning.